Tuesday, September 9

Did you know...?

"Water, water, everywhere, Nor any drop to drink...." are lines from 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner' by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
That he was a part of the group 'Lake Poets' (William Wordsworth, Samuel Taylor Coleridge & Robert Southey) who all lived in the Lake District of England and are considered a part of the Romantic movement in English poetry.
That the American Transcendental movement is considered to be inspired by the English romantic movement, amongst other things... German Idealism (Immanual Kant) and Vedic thought being a few....

And while I was on the subject, I found this:

Thoreau in Walden (1854) spoke of the debt to the Vedic thought directly, as did other members of the Transcendental movement:

In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmogonal philosophy of the Bhagavat Geeta, since whose composition years of the gods have elapsed, and in comparison with which our modern world and its literature seem puny and trivial; and I doubt if that philosophy is not to be referred to a previous state of existence, so remote is its sublimity from our conceptions. I lay down the book and go to my well for water, and lo! there I meet the servant of the Brahmin, priest of Brahma, and Vishnu and Indra, who still sits in his temple on the Ganges reading the Vedas, or dwells at the root of a tree with his crust and water-jug. I meet his servant come to draw water for his master, and our buckets as it were grate together in the same well. The pure Walden water is mingled with the sacred water of the Ganges.

I went... Wow! The next steps are to dig into the 'New Thought' movement.

And all this because I was trying to understand Jacobinism... that through a blog called 'Sit down man, you're a bloody tragedy' at nastybrutalistandshort.blogspot.com

No comments: