Thursday, October 30

Lights and shadows

I am clothes rich. And got cool laptop speakers. And this is not the high point of my Diwali at home this time.

It was a perfect day... in every way. I managed to get up in time (like 5 in the morn) for the bus at 6:30. Reached home much before 10 (approx 3 hours from Bombay to my home!). Had yum crispy bread pakoras for with mom's very own zing-your-brain-like-a-guitar-spicy green chutni! The skin on my fingers burns... my eyes water... I can't talk for sometime but I love that chutni man!

Anyway so... the plan for the day was that Mom and Dad were to compete. Now where do you think that might be happening hmmm? In the kitchen of course! Each was to cook a sweet dish and we the daughters were to be the judges. So Mom made gulaab jamuns and Dad made lauki khoye ki mewe waali barfi!!!! The amount of almonds on that thing is undescribable!

And while they exchanged notes and fought with each other and then laughed and then fought (you get the drift!!) they also managed to make some awesome chicken curry with desi ghi ki roti. And Dad's patent salad! And then we all sat down and watched Lagaan for 2 billionth time on TV. The movie is FUN!... made so much more so with Dad's wise cracks... sister's retorts... and Mom's uncanny ability to summarise the whole situation in a line or two which is so funny it kills me sometimes.

Sister was under some duress... she ambles to the kitchen and says... there is so much to do Maaaaaaa..... I am thirsty.... I need to peee... I want to eat that heavenly smelling chicken you are making and the damn movie is just passing me by!... what to do... what to do....

Dad had a solution but for the sake of the family's honor it shall not be revealed.

So Dad won. He cheated of course. Not that his dish was bad... frankly it was very tough to decide and he won coz he bribed us. Well. :) People at office were almost equally divided on which did they like better!

We had the Pooja in the evening. Nothing elaborate... very simple but with lots of lamps and flowers, just as I like it. Lighting those small clay lamps is my favorite part of this festival... Sis and I take it to perfection... with those lil lamps lining the walls in precise symmetry and distance. Then we run down the stairs and look at our house and go awwww.... that one's so cute... awwwww this one's so bright!

I came back the very next morning... but its a day that's warming my soul till today, and will for some days to come. I started laughing the moment I landed and dint stop the whole day... we just lazed on Mom's bed and discussed everything from Obama to our stock markets to office gossip (their's and mine). I slept well.... Mom managed to find time for our champi routine. Dad joked on the state of my equity holdings account... and then on a solemn note said that he is just waiting for the damn index to go down to 6K and then he too will invest again!

I am still somewhat jealous of the way my sis can just get up from her bed and go and snuggle with him under his blanket. The way they play with each other... their jokes, which sometimes no one around them gets. And the way he refills her box of eclairs every time without reminding him. The way he tells her that he is going to be so clueless when she leaves. I just wanna add that every one will be.

Prolly the reason I waited two days to write about that day is that I knew I will be sad. It was so perfect. It was so everything I ever wanted home to be... and its there now and she will leave.

I will miss her. Very much. And maybe I am blessed too to love someone so much that I'll miss them like life.

5 comments:

88 said...

Nothing to say except that was a very pleasant feel-good kinda post.
I know a lot of people who aren't all that close to their folks. Nice to read something like this for a change.

Fictional Reality said...

I feel blessed to be close to them. I feel responsible and I like the feeling. Its not been a joyride to be honest. We've had our share of 'Get out, I don't want to see you again' etc. Like everyone else. The great part is that we've managed to live beyond and rise above. Its been an eyeopener coz it so helped me sort my priorities. And continues to. My sister has been the glue that's kept us all together and I so love her for that. She's mature far beyond her years... I feel like a retard at times. :) End Note: I am happy.

Nimbupaani said...

Hey that sounds like such a nice Diwali day, spent with the folks n lots of food. Just they way it should be!
I missed my family on Diwali...and reading your post made me go 'Awww' n then miss them even more :-)

Anonymous said...

Good post :-)

I am sure that you two sisters make them very proud!!

Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at home...

P

Fictional Reality said...

SFFTE: I know its these days like Diwali that can make anyone wanna forgive their folks and come back home. :) My dad cooks well. He always experiments in the kitchen, never remembers what he really did and it always comes out fabulous. I wish I could say, come on over and just lemme know what you like to eat a lil prior. may be ... some day!
Mr A: Yes I did have a blast at home. can not really be sure of the proud part coz if you read between the lines us two lazy bums hardly did anything all day. rather enjoyed the fruits of hard toil put in by our enthu cutlet parents. I just adore them you know!