Thursday, June 4

Slit wrists

The NEWS channels here have amazing TRPs. One among the plethora of frequencies scrambling to give you some piece of action is this 24 Hour horror show called Aaj Tak. This modern televised version of Manohar Kahaniyan repulses me to such an extent I can lose my appetite for days after an exposure greater than 10 Mins. So as I continue to out do all past pangs of morbidity, I dare myself to watch the channel. Well... there you have yours truly scouting the frequencies and landing on the desired one.

Guess what they are showing? Try. I said really. Try.

Its an interview. A 3 year old child sitting in a semi dark room so his face can't be seen is being patiently prodded and questioned by a lady whose voice could be better than them angels talking in your ear.

You see the deal is that this boy's father murdered his mother. So? Well the meaty bit is that the kid happens to be the only eye witness to the gory crime. He has seen his father kill his mother at the tender age of 3. He does not even understand what happened or is happening. He is struggling to frame sentences... says any word that comes to his head because he can't really communicate. Kids that age can't. He does not understand the questions so she asks him again and agian... painstakingly patient... prodding him to get into details of how his father pulled his mother or what was he holding in his hand when he hit his mother...

Human Rights Commission in this country must have died. And so must the ever aware junta who watches so much news or our fables activists. You see we create more hoopla when Richard Gere kisses Shilpa Shetty at an AIDS awareness rally. Our activists are up in arms demanding Gere's arrest and imprisonment. No one comes forward to protect the innocence of a child who can not decide for himself that it is not in his best interest to talk about how his father was killing his mother as he watched on... on the national TV. He must have been thrown to the wolves by money crazy relatives who grabbed this opportunity of making a quick buck. The television channel's TRPs must have gone up coz they play a story 200000000 million times a day to ensure everyone knows.

The irony is Aaj Tak has been consistently awarded the Best NEWS Channel award for 3 years now. If this is how we define NEWS as a nation... we deserve it. We who are overtly so snobbish about gossip and gore... are all glued to our TVs as they rape the innocence of a toddler on National TV.

I have written to the Human Rights Commission and am waiting for a response. I will let you know 'IF' something happens. I will also be leaving a letter of condemnation on this channel's site. And I wish there was some way I could tell that woman trying to gain the trust of that baby so he would open up and talk more masala, that she should just kill herself. She is no better than sick paedophiles who abuse children.

Lesson learnt. I'd rather not be informed than be inundated.

5 comments:

Australis said...

I hear you. The last time I went back home, I was shocked to see that the headlines in every news channel were Karishma Kapoor's divorce and everything else followed after.

Good luck with the HRC. Hope something happens.

Fictional Reality said...

No response as yet. Lets see. I have stopped watching NEWS. ad infinitum.

Gymnast said...

Yes ,It is not a wonder in the country where strikes are held for just about any minor party issue , but not a tither heard when Shanno was tortured to death , or Akriti breathed her last , thanks to careless school authorities.
My heart aches for the little child.

ZB said...

I ditto your concern, media makes 2+2 ten. But then we are to be blamed since media provides what the Junta wants. I feel public is not interested in how many NGO are planting trees or how many schools are getting built. What sells is sensational news (take for eg. arushi murder case), and the very you, who wrote this blog was watching it. We are not living in a Doordarshan age, we now have millions(ok, 75?) of channels to chose from. Why not promptly press your channel button of ur remote and move to the next best news channel? Unless people stop watching such channels , they would florish, and they flourish bcoz people watch them. Ciao, nice analysis though:))

Fictional Reality said...

Gymnast: I have been directed to National Commission for Protection of Child Rights at New Delhi from NHRC. That is what I plan on doing tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Zillion: I understand your sentiments. I am hoping to do something this time around. Lets hope we get somewhere. what say? :)