Monday, May 18

So... Intelligence is normally distributed after all!!!

Well... The concept of normal curve says that for any phenomenon present in a large population, it is safe to assume that its distribution if plotted on a curve will take the shape of an inverted bell... also called the Normal curve or the Guassian distribution with love. It means that most people will lie close to the mean or average, and a few being exceptionally above or below it. Makes intuitive sense rt?

Now, intelligence too therefore can be assumed to be normally distributed. So what's the point?

You see, for the last hour and a half my dearest roomie has been going on and on about her martial arts camp at Goa the past week. The high point of the whole affair seems to be a rendezvous with a snake 'on the beach'... She gets into details of course (with no prodding needed). This snake on the beach happens to be less than a couple of feet long, Yellow in colour and a 'Cobra'!! She then went on to say how everyone was holding it and playing with the cobra on the beach when one of the black belt instructors took pity on it, picked it up by the tail and took it back home into the sea water!!!

Now, you need to go to any five year old, give them this story and ask them what they think of you?

As for me, I am pretty disappointed with the cobra and his absolutely blasphemous un-clanly behavior! So I am going to put him in the 'exceptionally below' the average in my books.

As for my roommate... well! I sure do live with some truly exceptional people! There is no way in hell I can find a category for her now can I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing tales! Maybe you should write a good book on intelligence, with all these humourous stories. Gardner would be proud of you....

P

Fictional Reality said...

I like Gardner too! We should meet up really. Ok now that might be considered a lil forward of me to ask you that but how in hell do you manage to do all the things like me!!?!! So lets put my request down to pure plain old curiosity. You can let me know in a couple of years if you will consider! :D